Enrolments in the Business Studies have increased dramatically in recent years. Over the last decade there has been enormous froth in the service, administration and tourist sectors.
This increase is reflected in the expanding Business program at Sandringham College which includes; Accounting, Business Management, Economics, Industry and Enterprise and Legal Studies as well as a range of Vocational Education and Training Programs.
The Business Studies program caters not only for students wishing to undertake a Business course in the future, but also provides an important service for students in other programs. Many students in Technology, Science and the Arts see the need to complement their studies in these areas with a sound background in Business Management or Accounting. Classes are taught in attractive, fully resourced classrooms, and Business students are also able to access the excellent programs and facilities for Information Technology, which are housed in the same wing.
The Senior Campus has established strong links with the leading industries in the area. A program of guest speakers from employer organisations and local industry serves to raise students’ awareness of modern business practice and career opportunities. Students undertake work placement with many of these organisations.
The Business Program provides students with a range of extra curricula activities such as court visits, tours of local businesses and an excursion to the seat of the national government in Canberra. All students also have the opportunity to participate in the E Team Program. Teams of five students learn and apply the tools and principles of Quality Management during a week’s workplace experience in a host organisation. This program has been designed for students to take responsibility for their learning and to ‘learn by doing’.
VCE/VET courses are available in:
- Information Technology
Business Studies as Main Focus
- Professional Pathways
- This program is designed for students who are interested in further study at University or TAFE level or who are interested in employment in the business area.
- Management Pathways
- This program is designed for students who are interested in further study and employment in the business management area.
- Enterprise Pathways
- This program is designed for students who intend to pursue further study at TAFE or employment in the business area.
- Technology: Food and Catering
- Many students in the hospitality industry have chosen Business Management or Accounting.
- Business with Arts
- Future writers, producers or artist who are likely to be self-employed find a background in business valuable.
- Business with Science
- A number of students from the Science area have included either Legal Studies or Information Technology in their studies.
- Business with Technology
- Students who aim at self-employment find Account and Business Management 2 valuable.